Monday, August 20, 2012

Rick's Review: Oakley Polarized Crosshair Sun Glasses

I am not A fashion guru, nor am I an expert in high end sunglasses, but, being a professional buyer has taught me to be extremely critical of the things I buy. I have learned to look for the value of a product over price by comparing things like quality and reputation along with the final price tag. When it comes to buying my own gear I have well over a decade of product research experience I can call on to guide me in the right direction with unfamiliar products. I am also well versed in price comparison, and acutely aware of the tactics used by sales personnel to part unwary buyers with more money then they intend to spend on a product. I also tend to be prejudiced against a lot of the high end brand names. I feel that most high end brands have a similar quality to the medium level brands and that when you buy those brands you are paying more for the name then you are for the product. So when I finally settled on a pair of sunglasses that both my wife and I like the look of and had the features I wanted, I was surprised to find myself the proud owner of a pair of Oakley Polarized Crosshairs.



When I started my search for sunglasses I had a few requirements that had to be met. They had to be polarized for use in fishing and hunting, they had to have the gray lens color because I cant stand the way the other lens colors make the world look, they had to block out 99% or better of both UVA and UVB ray's because I live in a place that has 360 sunny days a year, and they needed to look good on my...ahem...large cranium. I also wanted to look at higher end brands because I have really good eyes which means small lens imperfections tend to  become bothersome over time. The Oakley brand met all of the quality requirements without even having to question them, and the Polarized Crosshairs look good on my big head.

Protecting the eyes from ultra violet light radiation is probably one of the most important things sunglasses are used for.This is especially important to me living in an environment that has intense sun light through out the entire year. UV light is responsible for all kinds of eye damage. Oakley's Plutonite® lens material blocks 100% of all forms of UV radiation where most other brands only block part of it. This is not something that can easily be put to the test by someone like me so I have to take their word that these claims are true. These glasses also have and ANSI Z87+ rating and are acceptable as safety glasses by OSHA and other safety organizations, so there shouldn't be any worry about using them as eye protection for hunting or shooting.

Oakley's website boasts that their ; line-height: 18px; word-spacing: 0.1em;">HDPolarized Lenses are the best on the market. They have a whole slew of diagrams and pictures to back up their claims. I have not peered into the water or across a canyon with every brand of polarized lenses out there I have used a few and can confidently say that the polarization on these lenses is amazing. I have used them in both fresh water and salt water and find that I can peer farther into even murky water then any other glasses I have used. for field use i have tested them in our local botanical garden/zoo that has very naturalistic places for the animals and my wife started to complain that I could find the animals far faster then she could with her prescription polarized lenses.  Another benefit of these lenses is the ability wear them while looking at computer and cellphone screens. I would have to take off other brands of glasses in order to do that. They do obscure the view of electronic screens from the side but while looking directly at them they are as good as non polarized sunglasses.  I am also very impressed with the lens clarity Oakley provides. in every other pair of sunglasses I have ever owned there have been areas where there was a bit of optical distortion. Usually this was a wavy portion across the lens that I would have to get used to. The first time I put the Oakley's on, they were amazingly clear. The only drawback to the lens clarity is the surface is ultra smooth and tends to attract dust, and smudge really easily.

My lovely wife and I. Looking good in my Oakleys. 
As for fit and fashion, Oakley has a wide variety of styles and options (including some that are angling and hunting specific) that will fit just about any personality or sport. I picked the Crosshair because it had a simple "aviator" style wire frame without all the stylistic frills normally associated with Oakley sunglasses. These also had a wider fit to them than most of the other glasses I tried on, so they didn't look too small on my big head. All of this combined to give a classic look that fit my face rather well.

The biggest drawback to the Oakley brand is the high price. at $250.00 these are beyond what most people will want to pay for a pair of sunglasses, but, all of the high quality features, and a one year warranty against breaking and scratching leads me to say that the Oakley brand of sunglasses are a good investment for serious outdoors people. They will provide the absolute best possible protection from the sun. In spite of being the most expensive pair of sunglasses I have ever owned, the high quality lenses paired with the classic frame style made the Oakley Crosshairs the best value for me.

Disclaimer: This is my honest opinion on a product I purchased with my own money. I did not receive any compensation for this review.

7 comments:

  1. I want to get prescription sports goggle type glasses next. I think I had Oakley’s awhile back, the gun metal Elvis style ones. An oversized hard case with contact information should preserve yours for along time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice on the hard case, I have been thinking about getting one to keep in my car. I do believe Oakley has a few styles of the sports goggles that you are thinking about. They also have a prescription lens program. for someone who wears prescription glasses i think the Oakley's would be great.

      Delete
  2. Did you look at any other lens colors? I have a pair of raybans with that grayish lens that works great for sunny conditions...I am on the hunt for the perfect lens color for cloudy days now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the years I have had just about every color of lens you can think of. I have found that for everyday usage and for most lighting and water color situations the grey or black lens color works the best for me. The polarization is what allows me to see more of the detail without the glare. For cloudy or low light situations a lighter tint usually works better then switching lens colors. There are several brands out there (including Oakley and Fisherman's Eye Wear) that offer up a "photochromic" lens that adjusts tint darkness to the lighting situation.

      If seeing farther into the water is what you are after, you need a more scientific and specialized approach. Matching the lens color to the lighting situation and color of the water in order to filter out the dominant light reflections and reveal the "hidden" colors allowing you to see more detail farther into the water. For instance in bright light with medium dark lens tint, If the water has a more greenish color, then a yellow or blue lens will filter out a large portion of the reflected light coloring and allow you to see deeper into the water, and for a muddy water situation an orange, red, or brown lens color may be better depending on the color of the suspended silt.I would suggest getting a few pairs of cheaper glasses (always polarized) with differing tint colors to see which works better for the dominant color you are trying to filter out.

      Delete
  3. i love those glasses, a bit pricey but nice for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are pricey. Thanks for the comment, Blake.

      Delete
  4. i got mine on http://www.sunglassesbat.com/, from a trusted seller(good feedback) that said they were genuine/authentic. i honestly don't know much about frogskins but they had gold lenses with metal hinges and no serial number.

    ReplyDelete