Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Attitude Of Arizona Quail

They Are Every Where!!!
Here in Arizona the quail can have a real nasty attitude. In the summer time, they are known to be especially nasty. Relentlessly teasing and mocking any hunter that comes along, knowing they can't do anything about it. Every time I am within earshot they start quietly cooing in an attempt to elicit a reaction. Then they go to running around right out in the open just to see if I am paying attention. If that doesn't work they go to whispering subtle derogatory suggestions on my ability to aim. If that still doesn't get a reaction they move into the personal insults about body odor, and fashion sense. Being a forgiving and patient person who is confident in my shooting abilities and personal hygiene I do not give in to this type of juvenile taunting, even from those nasty little quail. But a couple of weeks ago those pesky birds started to get really personal by saying nasty things about my truck. It took everything I had, but I held my cool and didn't respond. Then they started talking about my mother, and well I just can't have those little featherd punks talking about my mother that way! I decided that something had to be done to put those birds back in their place!





a couple of weeks ago I devised an ingeniously devious plan to scare those rude little worm eaters into submission! Being out of season I couldn't shoot them so, with an evil grin, I started laying the groundwork for a demonstration that would show those rascals who was boss. First  I recruited a  couple of minions to help me. My son Johny and my cousin Joe were more than willing to come and show those beady eyed little buggers who's who. Next, I went to the store and got a box of clay pigeons, a hand thrower, a case of 12 gauge shells, and two boxes of 20 gauge shells. Then, with the shotguns cleaned and at the ready, I went to bed and dreamed of how I would put the fear of god into those devious little birds!

We got up really early the next morning and loaded up the truck and headed down the road. Ok, it was like 7:30 after hitting the snooze button several times, but the intention was there. By 8:00 we were bouncing down a rutty dirt road looking for a good "quaily" spot to set my plan in motion. Once in a good location we unloaded the clay pigeons the two shotguns, and all the shells I had on hand. and lined them all up on the tailgate of the truck so the quail would have a clear view of the weaponry I was going to unleash on them come hunting season. before we could commence to scaring, I had to give my cousin a lesson in how to shoot the shot gun, and throw the clay targets.

This was the first time Joe has ever picked up a gun, so I thought it best to teach him to shoot the single shot 20 gauge first. I showed him how to load it, and explained the importance of not pointing it at people and keeping his finger off of the trigger. then I showed him how to aim and track the target keeping the barrel just in front of it, and then I shot off a round to give him an idea of what to expect. Then I had him load up a shell while I put a clay disk in the thrower and explaining that process to both boys. I then drew a line in the dirt and told them that no one goes in front of that line unless both of the shotguns were on the tailgate, and unless their toes were on that line the safety was on on the 12 gauge and the 20 gauge was open. I then drew a box a little was off to the side and behind the line and told them that was the pitchers mound, and the only place the clays were to be thrown from.

When Joe stepped up to the line, I told him to loudly say "PULL" when he was ready. He shouldered that shotgun like a pro, and then "PULL". I threw the clay hard and almost straight out in front of him and before I was completely recovered from the throw I heard BOOM and watch that clay explode about 20 yards out! The first time that kid pulled the trigger on a fire arm and he hit that clay like he had been doing it his whole life. His smile was absolutely priceless! and he hit his next three shots as well. I could hear those quail exhale in fear! My plan was working.

Johny was up next and he missed all three shots he took with the 12 gauge. and all I could hear was those mean little birds saying "Ninny ninny boo boo!" Then it was my turn, and I hit two of my three shots. We took turns shooting at the skeet with one throwing and two taking turns shooting. We all did alright, but I think the 50% hit ratio made my plan to scare those quail into submission backfire. As we were cleaning up the shells and putting the guns in the truck I could hear those dinosaur rejects cackling out their maniacal laughter and taunting us with ever more nasty insults! I think it is time to go to the skeet club and get in some real practice. Then, come hunting season, I will be the one laughing and taunting....and those little chickens won't be found anywhere. No matter how hard I look!





8 comments:

  1. I was in Phoenix for 8 years and had to deal with harassment from AZ quail on a daily basis. The dominant males would emerge from planted shrubs in parking lots to contest my parking spot selection. The thing on they’re head only exasperates things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree reverend! The quail in parking lots are the worst offenders! there is one at my wife's office that sits up in a tree and hollers obscenities at me every time I go there, And I want to rip the top-knot right off of his head with the way waves it around like he is all that and a bag of bird seed!

      8 years in phoenix. wow! Do you miss the heat? It is going to be cool up there this weekend...only 111*.

      Delete
  2. Rick
    I can't think of a better way to get ready for quail season. Being a former quail hunter I used to get fired and ready about dove season in anticipation of quail season. Those doves flew a little high compared to quail flying but what the heck, it was practice-----and FOOD!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a blast out there. Dove and quail season run pretty parallel here, but I do intend to hunt both this year. Thanks for the comment Bill.

      Delete
  3. not a hunter but sure do love me some game meat

    as a side note, to get rid of that white background on your text, instead of copying your text right off the word processor and pasting it to the compose section of your post editor, try to past it in notepad first then to the post editor. or you could go in to the html section and delete the span directions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advise Blake. That white back ground is driving me nuts! I have been writing my posts directly into blogger, so the only thing I can think of is that I write from two different computers. I will try the cut and past idea and see if that works to fix it.

      Delete
    2. or try looking in the html mode, delete everything in-between < span> and < /span> including the span brackets. Normally it will have some font name with px size info as well as the white background info.

      once you look at it for a while you will figure it out. your pictures are everything in-between the < div> tags and text will show as normal.

      good luck

      Delete